Visa Process

Each Psychometric Society member should check with his or her home country to confirm travel requirements to China.  We recommend you begin this process soon, since the visa process will take some time. For visas that expire after 120 days, it is recommended to apply between 30 and 60 days before entry into China.

A few things to keep in mind before you apply for your visa. You will need to:

  • Register for the conference
  • Book hotel reservations
  • Book your airline ticket

Depending on the kind of visa, you may need an invitation letter for the conference, confirmation of your hotel reservation and/or your flight itinerary. You will receive an invitation letter for the conference automatically if you book your hotel through the society. Otherwise, please request a conference invitation letter directly.

It may be most convenient to use a company to assist with the visa process.  The following companies have been used successfully by Psychometric Society members and staff. However, you may use any company you wish to complete the visa process. 

Visa assistance for US Citizens: Perry International - Chicago, IL or

Visa assistance for Canadian Citizens: Visa Services Canada - Ottawa, ON

Visa assistance for Non-US Citizens living in the USA:

For the Netherlands:

Other Useful Websites:

Information for US Travelers from the United States Department of State Website:
Please check regularly with the US Department of State as information may change!

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: BEFORE YOU GO: To enter China, you need a visa as well as six months' validity remaining on your passport. If you do not have a valid passport and the appropriate Chinese visa, you will not be allowed to enter China, you will be fined, and you will be subject to immediate deportation. U.S. citizens traveling to China may apply for up to a one-year multiple-entry visa. Check your U.S. passport before applying for a visa to make sure that it has one year or more validity remaining; otherwise, you may be issued a visa for less than the time you request. The Chinese embassy and consulates general in the United States do not always issue maximum validity visas even if requested to do so. A multiple-entry visa is essential if you plan to re-enter China, especially if you plan to visit either Hong Kong or Macau and return to China. China has recently instituted new supporting document requirements for tourist (L) visas. Visit the website of the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China for the most current visa information.

China no longer restricts tourists with HIV from visiting, but will not issue them residence permits. Please verify the restrictions with the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China before you travel.

For information about U.S. customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

The Embassy of the People’s Republic of China’s website also has a list of other available services and frequently-asked visa questions with links to their consulates general in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco.

Upon Arrival:  Whether you are traveling to or living in China, you must register with the police within 24 hours of your arrival in the country.  Even foreigners with residence permits are required to register after each re-entry.  If you are staying in a hotel, the staff will automatically register you.  However, if you are staying in a private home with family or friends, you should take your passport to the local police station to register.  Failure to do so could result in fines and detention.  Chinese law requires that you carry your valid U.S. passport and Chinese visa or residence permit at all times.  If you are visiting China, you should carry your passport with you, out of reach of pickpockets. 

U.S. Embassy Beijing
No. 55 An Jia Lou Road
Chaoyang District, Beijing 100600
Telephone: +(86)(10) 8531-4000
Emergency After Hours Telephone: +(86)(10) 8531-4000
Fax: +(86)(10) 8531-3300

Leaving China:  You must have a valid visa not only to enter China, but also to leave China.  If your visa has expired or if you lose your passport while you are in China, immigration authorities will not permit you to exit the country until you receive a new visa.  The time it takes to get a visa replaced varies depending on where you are in China; however, in Beijing, it can take at least one week from the date of application, regardless of your previously-scheduled departure date.  You should not expect the Chinese visa renewal or replacement process to be expedited to meet your travel schedule.

Dual Nationality:  China does not recognize dual nationality.  For the purposes of allowing the U.S. government to provide consular assistance to U.S. citizens in China, Chinese authorities recognize the U.S. citizenship only of persons who enter China using a Chinese visa in a U.S. passport.  If you use any other type of travel document to enter China, the Chinese government will likely not permit the U.S. Embassy or consulates general in China to provide you with consular assistance.  For example, when U.S. citizens who have entered China using travel documents other than a U.S. passport are arrested, the Government of China will neither notify the U.S. mission of their detention, nor allow U.S. consular officers to visit them while they are detained.  If you are a dual national with valid U.S. and Chinese passports, you should take care in determining which passport to use to enter and exit China.